Wednesday, August 01, 2012

SOME OLD PHOTOGRAPHS FROM THE ARCHIVES

West of Scotland Championship 1951 at Cathkin Braes
CLICK HERE FOR ARCHIVED PHOTOS   --- CLICK ON 1ST PHOTO TO ENLARGE AND CLICK THROUGH THEM - THERE ARE CAPTIONS BELOW
Your Webmaster was contacted recently by James Semple whose mother was Mrs Walter Semple (known as Betty).

He wrote "Betty was a well known and rather good and popular golfer. She was a founder member, with her husband, of East Renfrewshire G C. She was also a member of Troon Ladies and a long time member of the Greenlees Trophy team. In her youth she played out of Haggs Castle."
"In 1948 she won the RLCGA County Championship --- The Blythswood Trophy. I have some photos of that time."
"If you are interested in having them for your archives please let me know. Some fascinating faces emerge such as Mrs Helen Holm."
"Mother was also the Secretary of the Vets for a short time."

Had I had some of these photos at the time of the Centenary book I would have included some of them. However I have published them here with a few from the book added to them. I have not been able to add all the names but have put a few --(Can add later on).
My favourite is of the West of Scotland Championship in 1951 pictured above. This photo was taken 61 years ago at Cathkin Braes Golf Club and I do believe I am correct in saying Heather Anderson is in the photo -- Front row RHS and Betty is third from the right in the row behind