Wednesday, May 08, 2013

CAN ALYSON OR EILIDH WIN THE 2013 SCOTTISH LADIES AMATEUR CHAMPIONSHIP

From the SLGA Website
Alyson and Eilidh
Could it be a changing of the guard at this month's Scottish Ladies' Amateur Championship at Longniddry? The last three champions - Laura Murray, Louise Kenney and Kelsey MacDonald - are all missing from the line-up so there is the chance for a bunch of youngsters to make their mark at the East Lothian venue from May 14-18.

Teenager Alyson McKechin (Elderslie) showed the way with a terrific joint runner-up finish at the Helen Holm Scottish Open Strokeplay Championship at Troon.
 "I've been working hard with my coach, Kevin Craggs, over the winter," said the tall 19-year-old. "I've also concentrated on getting fitter and stronger and I'm sure that it made a difference at Troon. "I have never played Longniddry but I intend to have a few practice rounds and I am really looking forward to the Championship. At the moment, I am working part-time at the Glasgow Indoor Golf Centre and I won't make any decision about turning professional until the end of next season."

 Eilidh Briggs (Kilmacolm) is another 19-year-old with eyes on the coveted title. She was runner-up to Kenney at Machrihanish two years ago and is now a regular in the Scottish team - her older sister Megan won the title at Southerness in 2009.
 Eilidh has exams during the "Scottish" but the Physical Education student is determined not to be distracted. "Stirling University has been brilliant in arranging things," she said.